Saturday was my birthday and I decided to spend a lot of it working on the red/black quilt as I knew my husband would be running kid interference for most of the day. Unfortunately it ended up being a rather frustrating process as I proceeded to make error after error. The best I can say is that I have learned much about quilt making, the worst is that I have a ton more work to do before I'm finished. :)
Last week I was at my friend Jana's house working on the quilt. She has a LOT more patience than I do when it comes to crafting so was instrumental in helping me focus on fixing some errors I had already made. We noticed that the black squares were smaller than the other squares and that threw off row alignment. A few times we had to cut new black squares and resew the rows. In the end, each row had to be resewed and it wasn't until Saturday when I realized why they were a problem. After all, I had cut everything with the Accuquilt, so how could the black squares be smaller?
I turns out that ironing the black squares caused them to shrink and distort. The other fabric didn't have that issue, but the black did. This became apparent when I was ironing down the seam on a piece of the sashing:
So that added quite a bit more work. :)
Once I finished sewing on the sashing I realized that I had made an error by not making them long enough for the corners and one of them was just plain too short:
So the next step is to sew on the red squares, do some end snipping and fray checking and figure out what I'm going to do for the backing.
I also ended up unhappy with the 75% completed matching tag blanket. And I am rapidly running out of time.
I'd like to add that having a fraction of my chair to sit on while sewing doesn't help the process!