Sunday, February 13, 2011

Fishless cycling has begun

Today we finally set up the first fish tank, a 20g freshwater tank for Clark's room. This will eventually be the home for Mr. Cat (the emerald catfish) and a couple more of his kind, as well as...well, I haven't 100% decided who they will share a tank with: a betta, some glofish, fancy guppies...etc.  I think that decision will come at a much later date.  We have plenty of time as we started the fishless cycle today and that can last 4 weeks or more.

It's a time consuming way to cycle your tank, but I just can't bring myself to throw some fish in there to do it.  It's hard on the fish, assuming they survive, and I don't want to get stuck with fish I don't want but got because they were hardy.

I'm still waiting to get the sand for the tank and it will have to be added later, but right now it has a nice array of plants and river rocks.

Mr. Cat and Mr. Black (they deserve names) are hanging in there as best they can.  I change out 10 cups of their 1.5 gallons a day but the ammonia levels remain higher than they should.  I'm not sure how to help them any more than I already am.  I really hope they make it, but 4 more weeks of this might be more than they can handle.  We'll have to see.

No comments: