Friday, January 13, 2012

Too many fish!


A couple of months ago, one of my Mollies from the brackish tank had babies. By the time I realized it, there were only two left swimming around. I never wanted to deal with fry so I intentionally bought only female Mollies. Couple that with the carnivorous bumblebee gobies and I thought I was free from that potential problem.

Unfortunately one of the Mollies was pregnant when I bought her and, as I learned later, can release babies for months. I am completely incapable of dealing with knowing there were little fish in there awaiting their doom so I saved them, thinking I could handle two more in the tank and hoping neither was male.  I took good care of them and patiently waited for the day they would be big enough to be released from their fry tank.

Today I was walking by the tank when what caught my eye? More fry, desperately trying to avoid the gobies. I instinctively ran for the net and saved nine of them. So now I have 11 fry to deal with. More than I can handle. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I can't knowingly and purposefully kill them, and yet I don't have the space for them.

I think I'll call a couple fish stores for advice.
The floozy and her offspring

No comments: